October 14, 2008

MOooooooooooo!

I've been in southern California all month (and will be for the rest of October) doing a small consulting gig. Last week after the daily work, we travelled close to the border to a holstein feedlot. It was so neat!! Holsteins aren't your typical "beef" breed so it was interesting to see how it differed!

This feedlot owner grew all of his own feed! what a concept! Behind the three goof balls (past professors and friend) is his harvester and his sorghum field! It was intense. These guys wanted me to take their picture so they could send it back to there boss so he know that they were working. toooo funny.

I got to jump in this picture!
A friend of mine M was showing me all the details in the harvester. I had never used one before to I was eager to learn.
This is up inside of it! I'd hate to be behind this machine while it was working!
Front detail :)

This was a pen of holsteins! they were big fellas! They average about 1,100 pounds. This owner also was very environmental savey! He used baleing twine from his hay bales to create shade for these guys. haha. two thumbs up.
These are little bitty heifers. They will go to the milking stalls in January. sooooo cute! These are jersey cattle and cross bred jersey cattle.
This is fred, bob, and bill. haha. Holsteins are soooo curious!!! they came right up to us.
henrietta. She wanted some head shots :)
A cool picture I got of sorghum heads.
This rancher also had mexican cattle. If you look closely you can see a branded "M" on their rump (rear/bum). They are from mexico and are fed here in the in the US. That is why they are called mexican cattle. haha. totally candid shot. but it totally looks like machos!
Last adventure! My friend from Kansas had never seen the ocean. I was excited that I could take him to see it for the first time.
haha. cowgirl at the beach! I had forgotten my flip flops. yes, I got plenty of stares...
Thanks for stopping by! have a great week!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like a fun trip, full of lots to learn!!!! have a great time Lauren!

Anabelle O'Malley said...

What a fun post! I loved learning about all of the cattle. Love the shot of Henrietta. ;)

Amy W. said...

ha, fun post! i love visiting farms but could never imagine taking on something like this. great photographs!

Leigh Penner said...

Great pictures!
My husband farms at my MIL's and we have cattle-- mostly hereford and black angus cross.

Audrey Pettit said...

Looks like a very cool experience! Lots of fun adventures!

Bianca said...

what a fun trip!!! cool pictures!!

ArturoandWrenn said...

Looks like fun! Hope all is going well for you in Texas!

Take care.

Renee Lamb said...

what a fun trip and your pictures took me back in time. I grew up in Hereford, Texas. Yep, the town is named after a cow. I actually learned to drive by running a tractor on my grandpa's farm by the time I was 11! And when I was 16 - I used to work for a feedyard riding pens. fun times. Stinky but fun times ;) - great post! have fun in Cali!

Anonymous said...

Nice page! You look so interested in all that machinery!! And you are turning more into a cowgirl and leaving your california lifesytle behind (cute boots by the way..where did you get them)! Looks like you are learnings tons!!

Staci Taylor said...

Oh wow, what a cool experience!! I love southern cali, i'm jealous :-)

Miss Mandy said...

You're funny.
I miss cows.
And you.